Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Some quotes from Gandhi

Some quotes by Mahatma Gandhi that can be considered spiritually agnostic include:

**In reality there are as many religions as there are individuals.(Hind Swaraj 1908)

**I simply want to please my own conscience, which is God. Young India (21 January 1927)

** "Yes I am a Hindu. I am also a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, and a Jew."

** "It is impossible for me to reconcile myself to the idea of conversion after the style that goes on in India and elsewhere today. It is an error which is perhaps the greatest impediment to the world’s progress toward peace … Why should a Christian want to convert a Hindu to Christianity? Why should he not be satisfied if the Hindu is a good or godly man?" (Harijan 30 January 1937)

** "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." (quoted by William Rees-Mogg in The Times [London] (4 April 2005))

** "I came to the conclusion long ago … that all religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian." (Young India (19 January 1928))

** "...Satan's successes are the greatest when he appears with the name of God on his lips."

** "I consider western Christianity in its practical working a negation of Christ's Christianity."

** "Nonviolence is the first article of my faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment