Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Inclusivity and Tolerance

Even though all religions have fundamental similarities, some spiritual agnostics align themselves with the religion that they were raised to follow. Those who do might call themselves followers of that religion yet simultaneously question how unique their religion really is.

For instance, the dogmas of Christianity and Islam claim that people outside the faith will suffer punishment. Spiritual agnostics tend to reject this point of view. Even if they do agree with this claim, they still recognize that the idea of hell is trivial compared to the love that can be shared in the present.

3 comments:

  1. I consider myself a "Christian" but only loosely. I do not believe that anyone not following my beliefs is going to hell. I also don't view the Scripture as absolute and complete. I differ on many commonly accepted aspects of the Christian church. However, my priest shares almost all of my views. I believe in Jesus Christ as my savior. Would I be considered a spiritual agnostic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes because you recognize the difference between religion and personal, profound experiences. It is these experiences, such as the lessons you learn when you study your religion and the points of view you develop independently, that motivate you to promote love. Your belief in Christ's divinity is primarily your personal tool for doing so according to both spiritual agnosticism and Christianity. Despite your disagreement with orthodox viewpoints in your church, your willingness to find common ground with your priest and your refusal to regard people as hell-bound seem to form a pattern of using unity to learn about yourself. This is a laudable achievement and an exemplary example of how to place your ego in the context of your culture and environment. The process of identifying a greater context is part of the religious appeal, and we can use it to learn, love, and build an inclusive culture that focuses on shared priorities.

    ReplyDelete